Thursday 27 December 2007

At Work....


I was reading Knikki's Blog, and thought i should also comment on this problem.
At work you feel your collegues may spend the whole day bitching and gossiping about other people which can make life at work very stressful and uncomfortable.

I learnt that some of these so called adults were still acting like they were at high school.
The males in the office were always at each others throats, throwing insults which I have to add were mainly in jest, and basically acting like they were fourteen years of age.

The women though were so annoying it was untrue. Of course it was not all of the women but just a handful of them. This however was enough to make it an uncomfortable place to work. These women were always ready to spread gossip about other people and were so two faced it was unbelievable. They would all get together and bitch about another collegue and then with the same collegue they bitched about bitch about another collegue. It was unbelievable!

After this I went to work with the sole intention of doing my job, I do not need these type of people in my life.
If you work with people like I have described above, I feel sorry for you. Try hard to not let them ruin your day at work as if they do, then they will have won.

Try to stay super positive. Compliment everyone in one on one settings so they feel less threatened. Or give the compliment in front of another person, for modeling effect. Susie your hair looks really nice today. Tammy, doesn't Susie hair look nice today?Then hone in on someone that you think is the most negative and have a heart to heart about how you've noticed that there's a lot of petty back biting and you would like to see things change because everyone is so great in their special ways.

One of the best things to do is tell the person in charge about it, lodge a complaint.
Here are some tips:

+Have a heart to heart with your manager. Handle this in firm, unemotional manner with him so that he understands that you have given this serious thought and are not being just "emotional."

Having dates and times so that your manager can see that this is not an occasional occurrence but something that occurs daily will have more impact. Be as specific as you can, but, don't be petty. Report facts. Mention who else in the company or outside of the company are exposed to them. Do your outside-the-company contacts or managers from other departments you speak with on the phone hear their twittering? Explain how their actions are directly effecting your productivity.

+Be Firm

+ Just quit, not worth working somewhere you don't like


There are some sad people around and I think the best policy is to rise above it and just get on with your work. That's what I do and have a chuckle to myself about how eaten up with jealousy they are.I know this happens a lot in the workplace and have now just come to accept it as part of working life.

Sometimes you have to think what you value most, your health or your job! If it is killing you to go to work everyday, obviously you are not happy. Change is not always easy but it's always for the best.
Outside of work, surround yourself with positive people for the positive energy you need. You can't pick the people at work, but you can pick the ones outside of it. Good luck to you all who have faced this kind of problem and a heads up to those who have not faced it yet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't even tell you how amazing this post truly is or even how much it means to me. The picture is great, too. It completely depicts how I feel at work.

Everything you listed has happened to me and all the advice you offered, I have taken. I went to the manager a few weeks ago about some harassment going on and she said she was going to take care of it, but I don't think she ever did. I'm going to ask her about it tomorrow, since this has not stopped.

Oh, and trust me, I ALWAYS compliment the girls who treat me bad. Even when they are working and are really busy at the register or something, I bring them water. I mean, I used to kiss their ass. I don't do it anymore, but I am extremely nice to them all the time. Doesn't seem to help much, but I figure I should always "kill 'em with kindness" in case something does happen.

And see, the thing is that I was talking to one the assistant managers the other day and she told me that the higher-ups who work there always give me compliments and they love having me work at Bebe. I mean, I guess as long as I have all the managers and approval and whatnot, I'm in good shape.

But definitely, great advice. I appreciate the most more than you know. But I've pretty much decided not to work after the season is over no matter what happens.

And at the very least, now I have another reference to put on my resume.

Envisage said...

hehe that's true, refrences are always good. Be sure to mention about your work ethic and the substantional amount of sales you did , and good luck with where ever u work!